Formatting your Assignments
There are common style conventions that should be applied when formatting your assignments. Check with your lecturer or assignment brief if there is a recommended style. If not, follow the tips below on how to format your assignments.
These are some general guidelines on how to format your assignments.
Choice of Font
- Use a standard clear and readable font, consider Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman, or Verdana. Fonts should be consistent throughout your assignment.
- Colours - Standard Black and White, if you want to include more colours stick to a maximum of three and be consistent when colouring your headings.
- Font Size - 11p or 12p
- Justify your alignment
- Assign 1.5 spacing between sentences
- Make headings Bold
- Essays don’t usually need subheadings; reports usually do.
Title page / Cover Page
- The title of the assignment
- The course/unit name and number
- The due date
- Your full name, student number/identifier
- On this page the text should be centred.
- Word count
- If you are including figures, you may wish to use a contents page. Ensure figures are numbered correctly according to APA Guidelines. -
- Figure 1., Figure 2, etc.
Insert a header on all pages except the title page
- Your last name, first name
- Your student number
- The course code or number
- Include page numbers on all pages except for the title page.