Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

The Student Centre


Eligible AFTRS students have the opportunity to apply for the Australian Government’s FEE-HELP loan scheme to help pay your course fees if you meet the citizenship and residency requirements as listed on the Study Assist website.

FEE-HELP means you can study without having to pay upfront fees.  Students are financially liable for the FEE HELP loan if they continue to study past Census dates set down for each unit of study.

Students applying for FEE-HELP will need to have a Tax File Number and Unique Student Identifier. 

  • For more details on how to get a USI click here

You can also pay your fees with a combination of an upfront payment and FEE-HELP.  For more information please contact the Student Centre.


If you obtain a FEE-HELP loan from the Australian Government to pay for your studies, a FEE-HELP debt is recorded for you with the ATO. You repay the government through the taxation system once your income reaches a set threshold.

Repayment of FEE-HELP debt is calculated by the Australian Tax Office and the amount will be included in your income tax notice of assessment.

For further information about AFTRS Fees and FEE HELP:

Checking your Fee Help balance

You can check your fee help balance on the myHELPbalance site

Or via the myGov website

Please note it may take up to two months after your first census date for you to be able to sign in and view your HELP balance and study loan(s).

If you have any trouble logging in on the myHELPbalance site, then please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions

  • If you have previously studied, taken out a loan and are still unable to access myHELPbalance, you may have a conflicted student record. This could be due to having more than one CHESSN or conflicting personal information against your loan record data. You will need to Contact Study Assist in this instance.